Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Nails

My sister-in-law sent this to me. I hadn't seen it before, but I thought it had a good message behind it, so I thought I'd share it.


There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His Father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the back of the fence. The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Over the next few weeks, as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails hammered daily gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.


Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper.


The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone. The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence He said, "You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out. It won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound is still there. " A verbal wound is as bad as a physical one.


Isn't that good? I do disagree, however, with the idea that the wounds can never go away. When we process hurts and wounds at the cross, the hurt and wounds CAN be healed. However, I thought it was a valid point to remember that words are so easy to release from our mouths and yet they cause much damage.


Have a blessed day!

9 comments:

Momma Roar said...

I have read that before, but thanks for sharing it again with us!

I have to tell you that I just love your new profile picture!

Christy said...

that is really neat :) Thanks for sharing!

Lyndy said...

Ruth, I too had read this before but thanks for sharing it again. Excellent reminder but I do agree with you. With God the hurt and wounds can certainly be healed.

Have a blessed week my friend.

~Lyndy~

Susan said...

Thanks for dropping by since I've been on vacation with the grands!

I've heard this one before but am so glad you posted it to remind me.Such good truth!!! We need to be reminded.
Susan

Lori said...

I also have read this before.
So true. Thanks for sharing.

Susan Skitt said...

Good reminder to let our words go through the filter of God's Word.

You're so right about the healing God gives.

Have a wonderful day!

Betty said...

Ruth, I received this in an email a few weeks ago but it is certainly worth rereading.....

I'm so happy to be back on line and able to comment. Thanks for coming by to see me...Betty

Jennifer said...

What a great lesson.

I'm gonna pass this on to my husband (wink wink), he's a noted "hot head".

Oh, and you asked where I get those pictures.... well, honestly I just typed in 'Weight Watchers' in a google image search and poof, there are all kinds (and I do mean all kinds).

Hope you have a blessed day Ruth!

Emily said...

What a beautiful illustration, thank you for sharing Ruth :)