Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wednesday's Thought

1 Corinthians 12:31 But earnestly desire and zealously cultivate the greatest and best gifts and graces (the higher gifts and choicest graces)....

This chapter focuses on the spiritual gifts God gives His church. Everybody receives gifts from God. This last verse talks about desiring the "greater gifts". However, what really caught my eye is the "earnestly desire and zealously cultivate". Gifts are just that - gifts. I can't, in my own strength, get a gift. However, God does seem to favor those who REALLY want it. Now, in non-spiritual things, if I REALLY want something, I start doing something to get it. I think about it, research about it, lay a plan to get it, and probably drive everybody nuts talking about it. So, that makes me wonder, in spiritual things, if I REALLY want something, do I show that type of enthusiasm? Do I think about it, research it, dream about it, and talk about it? Or do I just mumble a prayer every now and then and think about how nice it would be?

Oh, if my heart would change and desire these spiritual things as much as "regular" things! If I would truly "earnestly desire and zealously cultivate" and my actions would reflect this, I wonder what the result just might be?

2 comments:

Susan said...

The Word say, He gives us the desires of our heart. I wonder how much emphasis should be put on the word "desire". I think that is what you are saying and I think there is much truth there.

I'll give you an example I've experienced lately. I have always wanted to be able to attend a good private, at home Bible Study. Around the first of the year I said something to my husband about that being something I would really like. As I spoke that to Mickey I said, "You know I've "thought" that but I don't know that I've ever truly asked God for that." I did so, and shortly after that I have been blessed with not one but TWO great in-home Bible Study groups. One on Monday mornings and one on Tuesday night. We have not because we ask not.....
Susan

Ruth said...

Awesome, Susan! Oh, how I wish you were able to come to my house for our Bible study. How blessed we would be for your wisdom and presence!!